Monday 3 November 2014

Clever Design Hack – Fake Browser Bookmark Bar by Time, Inc

By Jeremy O'Briant

I was surfing around this evening and I noticed a clever hack by Time, Inc.   At first I thought I had downloaded a browser virus…. then thought chrome had added a new schema-tag feature… but after further review it is just a clever hack by the web designers.  Across the top of the website they have placed a grey bar that mimics the browser bookmark bar:

time browser bookmark bar hack

The bar links to other Times properties and is present across them.  It is also anchored at the top so appears completely like a bookmarks bar.  I checked it in Chrome and Explorer and it was the same… and not present on mobile.  I also checked it out on archive.org and it seems to be relatively new.  It got me thinking about some possibilities web designers could do here and I wonder if we will start to see more of this as publishers try to combat the death of the home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment